Phu Loc village, Cam Vu commune (Cam Giang) still preserves a valuable relic- Phu Loc Communal House. The house was ranked as a national relic in 2001.
The dream message helping the King win the battle
Phu Loc Communal House is the largest-scale monument in existence to date among the 6 monuments in Phu Loc village including communal house, pagoda, church and 3 temples. The Communal House has a Chinese-transcribed Vietnamese name of Ma Ha, located in the center of the village, the position is said to be the dragon's forehead with the prime position of "five horses attending in the front, Tam Thai star attending in the back" meaning that there’s a mound like 5 attending horses in the front, there’s a pond in the back, Tam Thai star corresponding to 3 shrines in the village.
According to the legend, the gods, the documents still kept at the Communal House and the local legend, the Communal House worshiping Thanh Hoang was named Khanh Lady (customary called Can Hai Du Linh), who was the wife of a king in the Chinese Tong dynasty. Because the Nguyen dynasty robbed the throne, Khanh Lady and her children drowned themselves into the sea, her body was drifted south, to the territory of Can Hai in Quynh Luu (Nghe An) but the body was still fresh. The people here found it strange and they carefully buried the body and set up a shrine.
In the reign of King Tran Anh Tong (reigned from 1293-1314), because the southern border had a rebellion by the Chiem enemy, the king himself took over the army to go to fight against the enemy. When they passed through the Can Hai gate, the king commanded the army to station. That night, the king dreamt to be told by Can Hai goddess to help him. Returning from the battle, the king set up a temple. Referring to the history, according to the Dai Viet Full History Book (Hanoi Social Science Publishing House 1971), the Quy Mao year dated Thieu Bao, the Tran Dynasty (1279) recorded: "The Nguyen army defeated the Tong army in Nhai Son, the Tong lost, the Left Prime Minister of Tong dynasty, Luc Tu Phu and the Tong King jumped into the sea to die. A lot of his harem and mandarins died after him. Over 7 days, the bodies of more than 10 thousand people floated on the sea surface. In December of Tan Hoi year (1311), the king himself went to fight Chiem Thanh because the king of that country was Che Phien treason".
The epitaph "Phu Loc Kieu Bi" was engraved: In the Year of Quy Dau Chinh Hoa (1693) recorded that in the seventeenth to eighteenth centuries, merchant boats from the region of Thanh Hoa, Nghe An used to cross Cam Giang river branch to Phu Loc to exchange goods, Phu Loc then became one of the bustling economic exchange centers of the East. Most likely, the worship of Khanh Lady was introduced to this land region since then. Not only in Phu Loc, two neighboring villages, Nghia Phu (Cam Vu commune) and Hoanh Loc (Cam Van commune) also worship her as Thanh Hoang.
The Communal House still preserves many antiques of historical value
Many valuable antiques
The Communal House was built in the 9th Tu Duc year (1856) on a large scale. Currently, the Communal House has a typeface-style architecture of "Cong", including 5 great-worshiping spaces, 2 ancient ones and 3 harem rooms. Great Hall of worship has a structure of a boat bed, a cross-linking "five upper and five lower”, the type of gong alternating girder. From the top, the upper abutment is a stylized beveled roof engraved with the word "long lived". Under the roof is the stylized lotus petal. At the top of the key pillar, a dragon-shaped end reaches the center, the dragon's head supports the belly of the tie-beam, the dragon's tail supports the horizontal beam. The link along the Communal House consists of a system of longitudinal beams, belt beams and 11 sets of horizontal beams running through 3 four-collar beam compartments to form a solid house frame.
The Communal House also preserves a unique art sculpture system. From the outside, the highlight on the roof is the image of a tiger wearing a fire sun with its flying fire moves, the two sides of the clamps have a built-up Lac Long dragon. Next is the system of lemon flowered rims running from the clamp head to the roof edge, which is covered with 4 choi animals, the mascot of young lion family in the piers, including 2 terracotta. The mascots are all in the movement and attending dance posture. Finally, at the four corners of the Communal House, there are 4 curved double blade knives imbued with the image of the dragon fighting, dancing phoenix, the dragon's head rising high towards the phoenix, the dragon's body turns into a strip, the dragon fins are hidden with delicate lemon flowers. The Communal House also preserves many pieces of carvings of four spirits, four seasons, delicate flowers and leaves, which show the talents of the folk artists ...