Culture - Sports - Tourism

Ancient Noi Hop communal house

THURSDAY, 24/06/2021 14:52:47

The ancient Noi Hop communal house is located in a beautiful and peaceful precinct with a pond, a banyan tree, etc. in Le Ninh commune, Kinh Mon provincial town.


Noi Hop communal house was classified as a national artistic architectural relic in 2006

Based on historical books, stories of gods, and an inscription system still preserved, Noi Hop communal house worships the village's tutelary god Cao Son Thuong Dang Than (Supreme God Cao Son), whose given name is Phuc, with the merit of serving King Ly Nhan Tong in the fight against Champa invaders in the 12th century.

Noi Hop was the maternal hometown of God Cao Son. The story is that the God's father, Chuyen, came to a locality in Hai Duong province from another place to look for means of living. There, he met and married Hoan Nuong and gave birth to a handsome and intelligent son named Phuc. Being intelligent by nature plus methodical education thanks to his father, he was good at both letters and martial arts at the age of 12 and respected by all students at school.

In the 4th Long Phu year under the reign of King Ly Nhan Tong (1104), with his proficiency in letters and martial arts, Phuc was conferred the title Ban Phu Duong Giao Noi Thi Hau on by the king.

Right at that time, the enemy invaded three mountainous districts in the territory, so the king order Phuc and Thuong Kiet to take more than 300,000 troops straight to the enemy's post. After having pacified the enemy, he was bestowed the title Dai Do Thong Lanh Do Doc Quan Dai Nguyen Soai Ta Huu Phu Bat Dai Tuong Quan on by the king.

Some time later, when Phuc's parents passed away, he returned to his mother's village to pay last homage; however, he caught a cold and suddenly died there.

Mourning over his servant with merit to the country, King Ly ordered his courtiers to come to pay tribute and conferred the title Thuong Dang Phuc Than (Supreme Lucky God) on him.
 

Finely-carved ironwood beams at Noi Hop communal house

Being grateful to his great merit, villagers honored him as the village's tutelary god and built the communal house for worshipping. Villagers always organize a traditional festival from the 16th day to the 18th day of every 3rd lunar month.

Based on the preserved inscriptions and royal honor-conferring edicts, Noi Hop communal house was quite large in the past.

The work had a ding (丁) shape with a five-compartment front ceremonial house having curved roof corners and overlapped roof bearings and a three-compartment back shrine having ironwood bearings. In front of the communal house were a gate with a two-tier and eight-side roof and two rows of houses on both sides.

Over many times of restoration in the 3rd Thinh Canh year (1795), the 1st Tu Duc year (1848), the 20th Tu Duc year (1867), etc. and the 20th century, the communal house still retains its ding shape with the five-compartment front ceremonial house and the three-compartment back shrine.

The most unique part of the communal house is 15 finely-carved beams in the Nguyen dynasty style harmoniously distributed in worshipping compartments.

The ironwood beams were carved following the themes of tu linh (four supernatural creatures) and tu quy (four plants). You must see with your own eyes to realize the skills of then artisans. Apart from four supernatural creatures of dragon, unicorn, tortoise, and phoenix, the artisans inserted the images of small bamboo and apricot turning into dragons, etc. next to flowers and water waves forming subtle curves, reducing the roughness of the woodwork.

These beams are highly appreciated and considered precious materials serving the study of ancient sculpture by historians.

With the unique architecture preserved, Noi Hop communal house was classified as a national artistic architectural relic in 2006. However, its roof is deteriorating, there are cracks on walls, wooden trusses have been worm-eaten, etc.

HUYEN ANH

Comment

Please enter comment